The coat of an animal reflects its state of health. Usually, hair loss in dogs is due to natural seasonal molting. To speed up the process of molting, it is enough to increase the amount of vitamins from hair loss in the pet’s diet. Shedding is usually delayed if there is a lack of vitamin A and biotin.
But, if up "planned" change of wool is still far away, then it can be a symptom of some serious disease. In this case, it is worth taking the pet to the vet clinic so that the veterinarian can make an accurate diagnosis and find out why the dog has wool.
Causes of hair loss in dogs:
- The most common reason. unhealthy diet favorite. Most often, dogs that feed exclusively on dry food suffer from a lack of minerals and B vitamins that protect against hair loss.
- Allergy. Dry food can cause an allergic reaction, natural products usually do not create such a problem. If the dog itches and at the same time she has wool, then it is most likely a food allergy.
- Hormonal imbalance. Abuse of hormonal drugs leads to a malfunction in the dog’s body and its baldness.
- Reduced immunity. After the disease, the dog’s immunity decreases and the coat falls out all over the body. Also, a decrease in immunity may be due to the presence of worms (worms), so it is necessary to carry out the deworming of pets in time.
- Wrong care for wool. Dogs need to be washed with special shampoos. If the condition of the coat deteriorates, try changing the shampoo.
Also, the reason that the dog is heavily hairy can be various diseases.
Diseases of dogs leading to hair loss:
- Ringworm – an infectious disease caused by a fungus. With ringworm, wool in dogs falls in places. Be careful, this disease can be transmitted to humans.
- Skin parasites. Usually vlasoyedy settle on the tail and hips of the dog. Your dog can pick them up from another dog, but not from a cat. Cat parasites are not able to survive on the dog’s coat.
- Eczema – inflammation of individual areas of the skin. Older and well-fed dogs suffer most often. This disease is not contagious. Its reasons are not fully established, but they are probably the wrong diet and metabolic problems.
- Furunculosis – inflammation of the sebaceous glands and hair follicles. Furunculosis usually affects large breed dogs. The cause is impaired digestive tract.
- Rare diseases, for example, Cushing’s disease.
Treatment of hair loss in dogs
The owners of the animals need to know that hair loss is not during shedding, the formation of bald patches, hair loss in dog shreds – this is not normal for a healthy pet. For the purpose of treatment, in many cases laboratory tests of wool samples or scrapings from the area of hair loss are required. Therefore, a personal appointment with a veterinarian is necessary.
For each pet, treatment is prescribed individually, but in general it includes:
- measures to enhance the immune system – adding to the diet of various herbs, antioxidants, omega-3;
- nutritional analysis and the formation of a balanced diet – if the dog eats exclusively dry food, the addition of raw meat is recommended;
- the appointment of specific drugs – it can be various ointments or compresses to relieve itching and stimulate the treatment process.
After suffering a serious illness, the pet still needs to undergo a course of immunostimulants.