What is a furminator
Avoid problems with dog shaggy possible due to timely cleaning of wool. Veterinarians recommend using a furminator for this purpose. Furminator is a safe and effective tool for combing dogs, which allows you to safely remove dead hair from animals without affecting healthy ones.
Many breeders have already appreciated this device, because it not only does not cause inconvenience to dogs, but also saves the owners time, allowing you to remove up to 80% of shedding wool in a couple of tricks.
The furminator is a simple construction consisting of a handle and a blade with teeth. Externally, the device looks like an ordinary comb, however, the teeth are set to pull the hairs of the undercoat to the surface.
This is a worthy replacement for a variety of rakes and brushes that are not able to show the same effect. In addition, some models have additional features. The size of the working surface depends on the type of dog and varies from 3 to 13 cm, although you can find other options.
Which to choose?
The video tells how to get the right tool and what you should pay attention to.
All models of modern furminators differ in working surface and length of teeth. Original is considered to be products of the brand Furminator Inc. – furminators of this brand are available in 5 varieties depending on what color they are and how wide their blade is:
- large – furminator for large dogs: the width of the blade in it is 10 cm. Such a tool is suitable for grooming such breeds as Labrador, German Shepherd, Collie, Husky;
- the average is designed for medium-sized dogs (sheltie, cocker spaniels);
- small – on small breeds pets (lapdogs, shpitz, pekingese).
It is necessary to choose a model in accordance with the characteristics of your pet, but it is important that the furminator does not harm their skin and coat, but helps to get rid of its surplus when molting. Many brands are focused on the release of quality products for pets, so that care for them is easier.
In what cases it is possible to use the furminator, and in which not
This zoo industry tool is applicable to all animals that have undercoat and molt. The length of the coat does not really matter, the furminator will suit long-haired and short-haired dogs.
The list of common breeds that the furminator fits: husky, husky, chow-chow, spitz-dog, akita, gryphon, fox-terrier, schnauzer, spaniel, setter, shepherd, labradorroweiler, pincher, all dachshunds and so on.
With caution and with experience, you can use the tool on curly and soft terriers – Kerry, Wheat, Bedlington, and so on.
It is impossible to use a furminator when keeping dogs with a veil-like coat without undercoat, thin fluffy coat, thick and curly coat and bare breeds. For example: yorkies, shih tzu, maltezi, puhovichki, lhasa apso, poodles, Blue Terriers, American water spaniels, Chinese crested dogs, Portuguese water dogs and so on.
In the presence of animal rash and irritation on the skin, the procedure of combing is also impossible.
Why do you need a furminator for dogs
The furminator for short-haired dogs should definitely be used, as it allows keeping animal hair in good condition. Short-haired dogs, contrary to many opinions, also have certain problems:
- even short wool sheds, which means that wool will accumulate on the floor and on clothes;
- the dead undercoat needs to be removed in a timely manner, as otherwise the hair of the animals will become ugly and lose resistance to various diseases;
- strong molting adversely affects the condition of the skin.
So if you keep a Labrador, Poodle, lapdog or Chihuahua at home, be sure to buy a furminator for dogs. The photo shows that modern models have a compact but stylish appearance.
Most dog breeds are subject to regular molting. FURminator helps to remove excess hair (including from the undercoat), and in the long run to reduce the amount of hair falling out. An innovative brush is especially necessary for breeds of dogs with a thick undercoat:
- Siberian likes;
FURminator will not only eliminate weak, or already fallen hairs, but will also significantly reduce the likelihood of mats on the undercoat.
But for the so-called "hypoallergenic" and curly breeds of dogs it is better to choose a different type of comb. The structure of wool of the dog, poodle, Bichon Frize, Yokshir Terrier can be irrevocably disrupted.
What to look for when choosing a furminator
If you keep large breed dogs at home that are very shaggy, care should be taken when caring for their hair. Today, many brands offer to purchase effective tools that can reduce molting by almost ninety percent.
In the classic version of the furminator for long-haired dogs with the simplicity of the design is highly efficient, as it is developed by professional groomers. A good and high-quality tool can significantly reduce molting, reduce the amount of dead wool in comparison with a brush, pucherker or comb. The distinctive features of the models include:
- Gentle care of bristle hair and hair with a soft removal of dead undercoat;
- stimulation of the release of natural oils that give the skin and hair of animals a healthy look and shine;
- reasonable design, which is most often made of stainless steel, which affects its durability;
- convenience and ergonomics of models;
- ease of use.
Browse popular models
In addition, the special structure of the teeth provides a soft pulling out of the dead undercoat, without cutting off the live guard hairs. This model can be used for all breeds of dogs, except smooth-haired.
Product users have noticed that their pets have reduced molting, prevents the appearance of tangles, the tool penetrates deeply, but does not touch the skin, and the even distribution of the lubricant over the skin and wool makes it soft and silky.
Vivog is a model from the French developer, presented in two versions – a classic (in the form of a comb), and a more advanced version, containing two working surfaces – a rake and a comb. Stylish design, simplicity and efficiency are perfectly combined in this model.
Kudi is a Chinese brand that captivates with its low value and versatility. The brand offers not only standard models, but also more advanced ones, for example, model 2 in 1. One surface can be used as a rake, and it can be cleaned of excess wool, and the second one can be removed with a necrotic undercoat.
What breeds can not use the furminator?
Furminator for cats and dogs should be chosen correctly. So, you can not use these tools if you keep:
- American water spaniel;
- Bichon Frize;
- Chinese crested dog;
- Curly Coated Retriever;
- maltese lapdog;
- Blue Terrier;
- Portuguese water dog;
- Yorkshire Terrier.
These dogs have no undercoat, so using a furminator can harm them. In addition, you can not use this tool if the dog has skin problems, abrasions or ulcers on it. It is impossible to use the furminator in the following cases:
- If dogs are bare breeds.
- If the pets have thick and curly coat.
- If the pet’s skin has an irritation, a rash.
It is necessary to consider in detail which dogs are strictly forbidden to handle with such a tool:
- Pets who do not have undercoat. Such breeds include the Yorkshire Terrier, Shih Tzu, Maltezy, Falena.
- Four-legged friends who do not have any hair at all, for example, Chinese Crested, Peruvian and Mexican dogs, American Hairless Terrier.
- An animal with curls. These pets include poodle, Bolognese, Bichon Frize.
- It is impossible to use such brush to animals with various skin diseases, for example, allergies and dermatitis.
Sorry, there are currently no polls available.
I have a big dog, a sheepdog. The furminator became just a rescue, now at least you don’t need to do the cleaning so often, and the dog is happy when it is scratched once more. Now I recommend to all familiar dog lovers.
I did not think that the trimmer can be very different from the furminator, but as practice has shown, the furminator does not cut wool, but removes the undercoat. For me, it turned out to be much more convenient. Considering. that a few dogs in the apartment, the process of their "cleaning" has accelerated at times.
Somehow all slickers and brushes for dogs did not help me, they didn’t bring much effect, much less long-term. With the furminator, everything changed for the better. Now my pet’s coat always looks like 5, and it seems as if molting has become less frequent.
Features of use
We already know how effectively the furminator works for dogs, what it is and how it works. Now let’s figure out how to use it:
- comb out only dry wool if it is wet, the furminator’s teeth will score, and it will be rather difficult to clean them;
- combing is done in the direction of hair growth, but first you need to get rid of mattes, tangled wool, so as not to bend the teeth;
- using a furminator, you do not need to apply excessive force – this can lead to injuries.
If you are using a furminator for smooth-haired dogs, remember: you need to comb them from back to stomach, making movements from neck to tail. It is more difficult to work with long hair: first you need to get rid of the old undercoat, doing it in layers.
Despite the fact that the furminator is a relatively new word in the pet industry, he has already managed to give a good account of himself. Do not be afraid of the new, as this tool is really able to simplify the life of you and your dog.
And so that the furminator will serve you for a long time and you will not ruin it ahead of time with your own hands, follow these simple rules:
- Keep the tool in a special box and keep the blade covered with a lid;
- Do not comb out dirty, matted, wet wool;
- After each use, rinse the work surface with warm water, but do not wipe it even with soft wipes;
- Before hiding the instrument, make sure that it is completely dry;
- Take care of the tool, do not drop it and allow scratches.
Choose a tool based on the characteristics of your pet, and for sure it will delight you with its practicality, and your furry friend (no matter how long or short-haired it is) with pleasure and well-groomed hair.