From time to time, dog owners are faced with the phenomenon of hair loss in pets. Sometimes this is a consequence of natural processes that are associated with a period of molting. But some cases of hair loss – a signal of certain pathological disorders in the body.
If the coat is rapidly thinning, and it is not associated with moulting, there is cause for concern. In such cases, careful diagnosis and specialist intervention is required. To stop balding a dog, you must first find out what it is connected with.
Hormonal causes of hair loss
Often, animal hair begins to crumble due to hormonal disorders in the body. Lots of baldness can be symmetrical and observed in certain areas, or, conversely, to cover the whole body. There are a number of hormonal pathologies, due to which the dog has hair loss.
A disease of the thyroid gland in which there is a lack of synthesis of its hormones. Various reasons can cause it:
- iodine deficiency in the body,
- thyroid inflammation,
- the presence of tumor formations.
Older dogs that are overweight, as well as breeds such as:
Learn the instructions for use of tablets Trontsil for dogs for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes.
An overview of the flavors and lines of canned and dry food for dogs of small breeds of Royal Canin can be seen in this article.
In addition to the symmetric hair loss in dogs with hypothyroidism, the following are observed:
- skin hyperpigmentation;
- weakness, lethargy;
- hypersensitivity to cold;
- slow pulse;
- muscle paralysis.
A disease that develops against the background of somatropin deficiency (growth hormone). This is a rare pathology. Shepherd dogs, boxers, Pomeranian spitzs, and poodles are more commonly affected. With this disease, the dog loses hair on its back and abdomen. A lack of growth hormone causes the animal to stop growing after 3-4 months. In addition to pronounced dwarfism in a dog, the skin becomes thinner, dermatitis often develops, and dandruff appears.
A condition associated with an excess amount of adrenal hormones cortisol in the body. Syndrome is characterized by loss of hair all over the body.
- intense thirst;
- excessive urination;
- fatty deposits on the neck, abdomen and chest;
- muscle weakness;
- unbalanced behavior.
Most susceptible to Cushing’s syndrome are dachshunds, beagles, poodles, boxers, basset hounds, terriers.
Conditions arising from a violation of the concentration of estrogen. With hyperestrogenism in dogs, skin coarsening, swelling of the genital organs, hair loss around the genitals are observed.
Estrogen deficiency is often diagnosed in sterilized bitches. It is characterized by a gradual depletion of hair, softening of the skin in the genital area.
Dogs can get out of the coat due to non-hormonal states. They can be pathological in nature or be associated with violation of the rules of animal care.
Very often, the owners make mistakes that subsequently cause hair loss:
- bathing with products that are not intended for dogs;
- too frequent combing the coat;
- frequent bathing, which leads to the washing of the protective fat layer from the skin;
- the use of express methods to make wool presentable.
Vitamin deficiencies, especially A, B, E, are accompanied by a deterioration of the appearance of the coat, the appearance of baldness, itching, skin irritation. The main cause of beriberi in dogs can be considered an improper and unbalanced diet.
In emotional outbursts, the dog’s body can react with hair loss. Causes of stressful situations can be:
- prolonged absence or death of the host;
- appearance in the house of new pets.
The behavior of the animal also changes. It may be either too apathetic or over-excited. Pet can often bark, do not control the process of urination, refuse to walk, spoil things.
The body’s reaction to allergens. The immune system perceives certain substances (food or non-food) as foreign and begins to produce antibodies against them. As a result, the dog develops allergies. One of its manifestations may be hair loss.
Other allergy symptoms:
If the dog’s body is infected with worms, lashing, mites, fleas, lice and other parasites, this negatively affects not only wool, but also the general condition. When worms animals often have problems with digestion, lose weight. The presence of external parasites causes itching, constant scratching of the skin and the appearance of wounds. The dog becomes restless, does not sleep well, refuses to play.
Fungal and bacterial infections
Infection with fungus causes such diseases as microsporia, candidiasis, ringworm (trichophytosis). The dog has focal thinning and hair loss, dry and flaky skin, inflammation.
Common bacterial dermatological infections: dermatitis, pyoderma, eczema, abscesses. Foci of inflammation, wounds, ulcers appear on the skin. Wool can shreds.
To stop the hair loss of the dog, you need to find out what it is connected with. Show the dog to the doctor. Inform him about how long this process lasts, its frequency, intensity, whether there are other symptoms.
It is necessary to conduct a complex of studies to find out the presence of pathological conditions that caused alopecia:
- Scraping the skin to identify subcutaneous mites and other parasites.
- Scraping the fungus to determine the presence of dermatophytes.
- In the presence of itching, allergy tests are carried out on food and other allergens.
- Skin biopsy – material under a microscope to determine the type of alopecia.
- Blood test for thyroid hormones, adrenal glands, ovaries and other endocrine glands.
There is no single treatment regimen for hair loss in dogs. This is not a separate disease, but a symptom that can signal various disorders in the body. The doctor will prescribe treatment depending on the results of the diagnosis.
- Hormonal disorders are corrected with the help of hormonal drugs. They are selected on the basis of what kind of hormones in excess or deficiency. If within a month there is no progress, it is worth reviewing the tactics of treatment. In some cases, when hormonal diseases require surgery (usually in the presence of tumors).
- Fungal infections are treated with external ointments and solutions based on antimycotic substances (miconazole, clotrimazole). For severe fungal infections, systemic drugs (Intraconazole, Griseovulfin) are used. In some cases, special vaccines are injected that inhibit the activity of fungi.
- Worm invasions are eliminated with the help of anthelmintic drugs (Milprazon, Drontal, Pratel, Prazitsid). Be sure when choosing a means you need to take into account the age and weight of the dog, as well as the type of worms. From fleas, ticks, lice use special drops on withers, solutions (Leopard, Front Line, etc.).
- Hair loss due to an allergic reaction requires the complete elimination of the allergen exposure, as well as the administration of antihistamines (Tavegil, Suprastin).
Vitamins for dogs from hair loss
Vitamins for dogs are divided into:
- prophylactic. Contribute to the prevention of hair loss.
- therapeutic. Eliminate existing problems.
It is very important that the animal receives a sufficient amount of important vitamins with food: retinol, biotin, vitamins C, E, H, D. If there is a shortage of these substances in food, then it is necessary to include vitamin supplements in the dog’s diet.
The most effective anti-hair loss complexes:
- Kaniderm – Vitamin complex, effective for skin lesions, the presence of parasite bites.
- 8 in 1 Excel Brewers Yeast – German supplement with beer yeast, fatty acids, B vitamins, zinc. Provide shine, thickness and elasticity of wool.
- Anivital CaniDerm Tabs – complex based on brewer’s yeast (30%). Also, the drug is rich in fatty acids, grape seed extract. Recommended for dogs with allergies, dermatitis, and dry skin.
- Quantum – food supplement of domestic production. Contains vitamins A, D, C, group B, calcium, sulfur, iodine. Warns excessive molting, provides shine and thickness of wool.
- Canvit biotin – the basis of the complex is biotin (vitamin H), which is very useful for maintaining a high-quality type of wool.
- Hokamix – A complex of vitamin oils that have a therapeutic effect on hair. The additive "Hokamix forte" is used in case of excessive hair loss. The visible result of the use of drugs is observed in a week.
Learn about why hypoglycemia occurs in dogs of small breeds and how to treat a pathological condition.
How to mow a york puppy with your own hands at home? Pet grooming rules for areas are described in this article.
On the page http://melkiesobaki.com/dressirovka/vospitanie/sobaka-voet-chto-delat.html read the recommendations of experts on how to wean a dog howl in the absence of owners.
Most problems that cause hair loss in dogs can be avoided. For this it is necessary to provide the animals with proper care:
- Feed balanced feed.
- If necessary, give vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Immediately put vaccinations by age, to carry out treatment against worms and other parasites.
- Every time after the walk to inspect the dog.
- Ensure sufficient physical activity.
- Combing wool with a frequency that is suitable for a particular breed. For smooth-haired and long-haired dogs there are individual rules for grooming.
- Bathe dogs only with special shampoos, but not often.
The following video recommends the veterinarian on how to treat hair loss in small dogs and prevent recurrence of alopecia: