In dogs, coat is the first indicator of its health, along with wet cold lobe of the nose, good appetite and high activity. And of course, when a dog’s hair falls out, an inexperienced pet owner can start a panic. What can this symptom say and, most importantly, what to do in such a situation?
The relationship between wool and health
If there is a dog in the house, then part of the care is caring for her coat. This not only provides an aesthetic and beautiful appearance of the pet, but also allows you to identify signs of excessive hair loss in time. This phenomenon is a reason to visit the vet.
In a healthy dog that receives the appropriate care, wool falls out twice a year – in the fall and spring, due to seasonal moulting. In other cases, loss of coat is a signal that the pet has a health problem.
Experts do not recommend intensively feeding the pet with vitamins and plenty of healthy food during the natural change of wool, trying to prevent molting. Such zeal can cause even more problems, so it’s worth knowing the measure in everything.
Also, it is not advisable to use means that stimulate the growth of hair without consulting a specialist, because if they do not have a special need, the dog’s body will receive an "overdose" of substances. In addition, if the pet has serious problems in the body, such therapy will only distract from the search for the real cause of hair loss. Even with the normal growth of wool, the reason for its loss can remain in the body.
Most often, hair loss is not the only symptom and is accompanied by lethargy, inactivity and hyperemia (redness) of the skin. In addition, you need to pay attention to the condition of the skin.
If we talk about internal violations, it can be a failure in the functional activity of the immune system, metabolic processes, lack of trace elements and vitamins, etc.
Why does dog hair fall out
If the seasonal molt becomes protracted, the pet turns into a sluggish, constantly sleeping and little animal running around on the run. In this case, it is worth contacting a specialist for advice. Among the most common factors leading to the loss of dog hair, note the following:
- Improper nutrition. Among others, this reason is most common. Quite often, pet owners are not aware of their dietary needs. For example, they believe that dry food contains everything necessary for the dog’s body and no additional elements are required. However, even with such nutrition, the animal, especially during the period of its active growth, bearing the offspring, after suffering diseases, needs to add vitamin preparations and healthy products to food. And at the same time it is extremely important to maintain a balance so that the dog’s body is not overfilled with them. Veterinarians especially recommend adding a small amount of olive oil to a pet, as the unsaturated fatty acids contained in it help to improve the coat structure.
- Parasitic organisms. Lifelong dogs are at risk of infection by various parasites. Lice, fleas, itch mites and not only, they all adversely affect the health of the pet, including the state of the coat. If the dog is constantly scratching itself, while pulling out shreds of wool, balding places and stuck mats appear on the skin, then this is most likely the reason. Most parasites can be seen with the naked eye, but sometimes only a specialist will be able to identify the culprit of hair loss. Special treatments are used for the treatment – drops, shampoos, liquids, sprays. Veterinarians recommend, especially in the warm season of the year, wear a flea collar on a pet. There may also be dog eaters in the coat.
- Ringworm. This infectious pathology is considered quite dangerous. Among the main symptoms marked the formation of fungi, hyperemia and broken ends of wool, clusters which form bald areas. In this case, only correct therapy with the use of antibiotics, a competent rehabilitation period and good care will help. All this will contribute to the restoration of the coat. Doctors warn that a person can become infected with ringworm. Therefore, at the slightest manifestations, it is recommended to consult a veterinarian.
- Allergic manifestations. Not only is a person prone to allergies, but our smaller brothers. And because of this, they can lose wool. Dry food, medicines, hormonal contraceptives, detergents can cause this condition. Dogs with allergies often itch, trying to gnaw wool, often enough while tearing the skin to the blood.
- Immune system impairment. Weakening of immunity can occur for various reasons – after serious diseases, for example, the plague of dogs, viral ailments, during infection with helminthic invasions. Eliminating the root cause, you can do the restoration of the immune system (how to do this, tell the vet) and coat the coat over time will get a healthy look and the same density.
- The dog itself provokes hair loss. Excessive cleanliness can also cause hair loss. If the pet every time long and carefully licks the fur and bites off the dirt, then the areas that are treated in this way can often turn red, become covered with irritation, and even turn out to be without wool. Such behavior may indicate neurological disorders, in which case sedatives and special protective devices are prescribed.
- Wrong care for wool. These include the following errors:
- do not use detergents and shampoos that are not intended for the care of dogs;
- It is not recommended to comb the pet more often than the peculiarities of care for this breed require;
- rapid methods to give the perfect appearance of the coat in a short time can cause significant harm;
- frequent washing can worsen the condition of the coat, as the skin balance is often disturbed.
- Hormonal disruptions. The main cause of this condition is the regular use of hormonal contraceptives. In addition, veterinarians note that among the effects of hormonal imbalance disorders, hair loss is the most insignificant in severity.
Non-health related hair loss
Dogs are very emotional creatures and it is impossible to dismiss the fact that the psychological state of the animal can affect the appearance of the coat. Strong hair loss can be due to stressful situations – surgery, injuries, loss of owner, habituation to a new home. But there is little reason for upset pet?
Often, representatives of the breeds that are more suitable for living in an open-air cage or on the street and having a thick undercoat, all-season molting is observed if they live in apartments. Other breeds may suffer the same, but to a lesser extent.
In addition, dogs intended for the street, in most cases, abundantly molt in the spring, at this time they can itch very often, as the molt causes itching.
Experts also found that representatives of long-haired breeds molt much less frequently and less intensively than short-haired ones.
What can we say, the loss of pet wool causes certain inconveniences to the owners, especially when it comes to keeping the dog in the apartment. Is it possible to help the dog during this period and rid itself of wool in the house?
Preventive measures against hair loss
First of all, the owner must be able to distinguish seasonal molting from hair loss due to diseases. If in the first case it is enough to periodically comb the dog, then in the second one cannot do without a professional inspection.
You should not try to engage in self-treatment, but it is better to pass tests and identify the exact cause of this phenomenon.
If the reason is an unstable hormonal background, then special hormone therapy is prescribed. If the coat leaves the pet as a result of an unhealthy diet, then again the vet will help him correct it. By making a full menu and appointing, if necessary, vitamin supplements, the doctor will help return the pet shiny and beautiful wool.