Caring for your pet begins with attentiveness. If the dog began to lose hair drastically, and the molting period is far away, you should pay attention to his health. Hair loss is a symptom of several diseases, a signal of irregularities in the body.
Why does a dog have wool?
Only a specialist can answer the question, but not without the help of the owner of his patient. The reasons why the dog climbs wool is conventionally divided into two categories: hormonal and non-hormonal. Hormonal diseases accompanied by loss of coat:
- a lack or excess of estrogen leads to a gradual depletion of hairs, and then the dog has hair;
- significant hair loss is observed in Cushing’s syndrome, when there is an excess of a certain hormone in the dog’s body, there is a sharp weight gain and constant thirst;
- when the dog is actively gaining weight, the hairs on the body begin to break off and all this is accompanied by lethargy, there is a possibility of hypothyroidism;
- There is a whole list of breeds, which are characterized by a deficiency of growth hormone, it causes baldness in a young animal during puberty.
A dog may also lose its hair for other reasons that are not related to excess or lack of hormones:
- many breeds begin to lose wool too actively during molting;
- stress or a strong shock quite noticeably affects the appearance of the dog, it falls out of hair after moving or visiting a veterinarian, many pets react to a change of feed or shampoo;
- bald patches in certain areas are sometimes a problem of a particular breed, for a dachshund black acanthosis is considered a typical disease, Doberman often has color mutational alopecia;
- In the overwhelming majority of cases, allergic reactions are diagnosed; in such a situation, hair loss is accompanied by scabies or dandruff;
- for a young organism, parasites become the cause;
- the dog has hair loss due to bacterial and viral infections.
The dog has hair on the back
The back in the area of the withers is always more prone to baldness, since vaccinations and insect treatments are applied to this part of the body. When the dog’s hair falls heavily in these places, the wound should be examined:
- The area of the croup and sides of the back after baldness appears with eczema. These are the so-called weeping wounds. If combing wool during shedding was of poor quality, parasites appeared, or the animal did not accept new feed and shampoo, such reactions are quite expected.
- If the hormones of the dog are normal, but the bald patch is symmetrical, it can be adenitis of the sebaceous glands. This disease occurs in poodles, dangerous infection of the hair follicle.
The dog has hair on its neck
- It is not uncommon for a dog to have wool around his neck after buying the wrong collar. The cause of the problem becomes a collar from parasites, if the body took it as an allergen or the drugs were highly toxic.
- Violation of thyroid hormone production is manifested in the neck.
- If the breed is short-haired, and the neck area has folds, this is a possible source of a yeast infection. The formation of bald spots is accompanied by the appearance of an unpleasant smell in places with diseased skin.
The dog has hair on the ears
- If the dachshund dog has hair on the ears, it is worth checking the diagnosis of black acanthosis, typical of this breed.
- Solar dermatitis in rocks with low-pigmented skin has become an actual problem. The main danger in the appearance of ulcers in the affected areas.
- Ear tick in the warm period of the year is a probable source of the problem, because its appearance gradually depletes the scalp until hair loss.
- The dog has versicolor, but the incubation period is long. Deprive is not always accompanied by severe itching, therefore, time to recognize the problem fails.
- Lack of vitamins A, E leads to deterioration of the skin and coat. Faster problem will manifest itself in a thin and vulnerable part of the body. on the ears of a pet.
Drops hair on the tail of the dog
- Isolation of sebum is a source of nutrition for wool, and when a dog has some wool in places, it can be a signal of a failure in this very diet. If the gland secretes too much fat, it leads to baldness. Experts even gave the name of the problem "shabby tail." Everything is solved by using salicylic acid and tar soap to remove excess fat and decontamination.
- Lice and fleas for a dog become a source of helminth infection. Even after a one-time treatment and the destruction of parasites, eggs can remain on the dog, and this is again a bald tail after a time. Therefore, control by the owner. The first and most important point on the road to recovery. Additionally, if the dog has hair loss, a course of vitamins is prescribed to restore the coat.
The fur on the dog’s belly falls out
- Sometimes a dog has a shreds coat and this is normal for the molting period. When the undercoat leaves difficult, sometimes skin diseases occur.
- When an animal self-gnaws wool in a literal sense, it is worth checking it for infection with parasites. The whipworms feed on the blood and upper layer of the skin, gradually cutting off part by section. The dog will comb the belly when the fleas appear, then lick the wound, and this process is endless until the appearance of open wounds.
- The dog has large areas of wool, a wound with a characteristic pink shade. all indications of infection by ringworm or shingles.
- Dermatitis of any origin leads to extensive bald spots in the abdomen of a dog. Here and the reaction to food or mixed food, the presence of parasites in the hair follicles, even shampoo or a floor cleaner can cause a reaction and baldness.
The dog has hair on its head
- Often the reasons for which the dog climbs heavily in the muzzle are parasites. In the area of the eyelids and lips appear bald areas, the skin looks painful, the animal always strives to comb the wound.
- Solar dermatitis affects not only the dog’s ears, but also its face, even to a greater extent. Without intervention, the animal is in grave danger, and it is far from an ulcer on the wounds, but as a consequence in autoimmune diseases.
- If a dog has a symmetrical coat, this is a sign of adenitis of the sebaceous glands.
- Rarely, vitiligo causes hair loss on the face. As with sun dermatitis, hair loss occurs due to reduced skin pigmentation.
- If the skin is hardened, covered with scales. These are signs of zinc deficiency. A typical picture for arctic and northern rocks.
The dog has hair on its chest
In the chest area, many breeds have dense coat and hairs are long. During the molting period, the dog has scattered hair if the undercoat leaves bad. A similar pattern is observed for the period of pregnancy. Bald chest results from a variety of reasons:
- hypothyroidism or impaired hormone production by the thyroid gland will make itself known by a gradual transition of bald patches from the chest area to the sides and back of the pet, the dog becomes sluggish;
- collar from parasites and treatment of dogs with drugs may well cause a reaction not only in the neck, but also in the chest;
- A shampoo change or an unhealthy diet remains the most likely and often diagnosed source of a problem when a dog has hair.
The dog has dandruff and wool falls out.
The hereditary condition of increased fat content of the skin is the reason that the dog’s skin flakes off and hair falls out. There are two forms of this disease: fat and dry, often both of them occur simultaneously, which makes treatment difficult. The dog actively licks wool from the affected areas, scratches it, this leads to the formation of crusts and secondary infection.
The dog is very itchy and falls wool
Overwhelmingly, this combination of symptoms indicates an allergy or the presence of parasites. If we are talking about a young pet who has begun to actively scratch and lose wool, you should check it for demodicosis. A tick that causes baldness and scabies can ruin the life of a dog of any breed, but more often it occurs in Shapreev, Bull Terrier. Another reason why a dog itches and falls hair is a scabies tick infestation. If bald spots are colored pink and crusted, the animal is infected with ringworm.
After childbirth, the dog has wool
It is believed that baldness after the appearance of offspring is a normal situation. Almost always, intervention on the part of the owner is not required, the wool gradually grows and the dog has enough quality nutrition and a vitamin prescribed by a veterinarian. Even when the dog’s hair fell out and did not have time to grow over a couple of months, there is no need to hurry with the preparations. Some breeds lose their hair after they finish feeding the puppies.
The dog has hair and redness
Soaking wound with a red tinge. typical of eczema. The source of the problem is parasites, food allergies or care products, sometimes this is a consequence of poor-quality undercoat combing. The reason why the dog strongly climbs the hair from the genital area, become hormonal abnormalities. Redness is often the result of constantly scratching the affected area or licking wounds.
What does the dog do for wool?
The first and main thing that should be done by the owner. consult a specialist. When a dog has a lot of hair, only a veterinarian knows what to do. The longer the trip to the clinic is postponed, the more dangerous complications can be.
- After examination, the doctor will prescribe tests or scrapes if there are suspicions of parasites or infectious diseases. When there is no apparent reason, refer to the list of hormonal.
- If this did not produce results, suspect allergies or stress in the dog. Here it is necessary to look for an allergy source by means of an exception, to switch to good food with special additives, to resort to the help of veterinary preparations for treating skin and bathing.
- Against the general background, it is a good idea to do dog immunity, to resort to using vitamins and prophylactic drugs. But everything is intended and supervised.