The dog’s silky and thick coat indicates that it has good and strong health. Regular hair loss indicates the presence in the pet’s body of serious diseases or a lack of vitamins. Therefore, the pet owner must understand why a dog becomes bald.
Causes of hair loss in dogs
Partial or complete loss of coat of the dog several times a year is a natural process of molting, so such symptoms should not disturb the owner. Shedding does not affect the overall well-being of the four-legged friend, and the owner only needs to carry out combing and monitor the hygiene of the dog’s skin.
But if before the process of seasonal molting still far away, and the pet has a widespread or focal alopecia, the owner must find out the main reasons for the development of such processes.
Hormonal disorders in the body
Dog’s hair can be dumped if some hormonal failure occurs inside the body:
- Cushing’s syndrome (hyperadrencorticism) is a disease during which excess cortisol is formed in the body. The main symptoms of the disease with baldness are weight gain, systematic thirst, and regular pet urination.
- Hyperestrogenism. A large amount of estrogen in the dog’s body, causing the hair to begin to fall in the genital areas.
- Hypoestrogenism. Diseases most often occur in medium sized sterilized bitches. There is a massive loss of hair in certain areas, first in the circle of the genitals, and then – throughout the body.
- Low levels of growth hormone during puberty dogs. The disease has a natural origin, the most susceptible are chihuahuas, poodles, boxers, oranges, Dutch spitz and airedale terriers.
- Hypothyroidism. Acute hormone deficiency in the thyroid gland. Wool at this time becomes dry and very brittle. After she falls in the chest, neck and back.
Other possible causes
During normal functioning of the hormonal background, the causes of hair loss in a dog may be:
- Avitaminosis. It especially affects the overall condition of wool from a lack of vitamin B. A deficiency of zinc levels in the body can lead to rapid baldness.
- Allergic reactions. In dogs, they develop due to allergies to feed, cosmetics, chemicals, as well as drugs and medicines. The process of resetting wool is accompanied by redness and itching.
- Stressful situations. The nervous system of a large number of breeds is designed so that severe inflammation can strongly affect their overall health and cause special reactions in the form of changes in the appearance of the dog and failures in the process of the internal organs. After a fight, visiting a doctor, moving or other stresses, a dog may moult.
- Yeast infections. The process of hair loss most often occurs in dogs with wrinkled skin: Shar-Pei, English bulldogs, etc. Hair loss occurs in the area of increased folding.
- Increased scabies. The causative agents of the disease are microscopic scabies. Wool begins to fall out in places, first near the eyes, in the corners of the lips, and then – across the entire surface of the pet’s torso, where the parasite mainly operates.
- Ringworm (trichophytosis). Fungal disease that affects the entire skin of a pet. At the same time, round pink spots with loose hair appear on the body.
- Seborrhea – the skin is covered with grayish scales, the wool begins to fall all over the body.
- Solar dermatitis. Alopecia occurs most in the dog’s muzzle. In addition to the process of hair loss, ulcers appear on the surface of the skin.
- Blue Doberman’s syndrome. A disease that causes severe shattering of hair throughout the body of a pet. The dog at this time looks like eaten by a moth. At the same time papules begin to form on the skin surface.
- Vitiligo. The skin begins to actively lose all pigmentation. Rapid hair loss occurs, most of which the head area suffers. In most cases, this disease spreads in rottweilers and Belgian terriers.
- Adenitis of the sebaceous glands. In most cases, for such a reason, poodles start to get bald. Adenitis causes the development of inflammation and dying off in the hair follicles. After he goes to the face and head.
- Demodecosis. A microscopic mite penetrates the hair follicles, which then causes them to die.
- Big dermatitis. Reaction to toxins parasitic insects. Wool begins to fall in all places, a scab begins to form on the skin.
- Pregnant alopecia. Rapid hair loss during childbirth of the dog, as well as during pregnancy due to hormonal changes in the whole body. Such a process can be considered completely normal.
- Alopecia pattern. Full baldness of small puppies some time after birth. In most cases, the treatment is not worth it, the woolen cover will recover on its own, without assistance.
- Black acanthosis. In most cases it occurs in dachshunds. Alopecia occurs in the armpit, ears, and in the folds of the skin. Bald areas of skin begin to acquire a black color and exude an unpleasant odor.
- Crushed corns. Hair loss in the hind legs, in most cases in the place of the elbow joints, occurs due to the fact that the dog has been lying on a hard surface for a long time. Most of all this form of baldness is common in large breed dogs.
- Improper care of the pet’s withers, strong diligence while brushing the dog or bathing it too often can lead to a general weakening of the hair follicles and partial baldness.
- The use of improper cosmetic products. The dog should be bathed and washed with specialized shampoos. If, in order to save money, to use cheaper human preparations, soap or dishware, an active process of hair loss will begin to occur.
It is important to know that one of the main reasons for the shedding of wool is considered excessive passion for clothing for dogs. In the warm season, the pet’s skin under different sweaters, cloaks and capes overheats, which will inevitably provoke a baldness process.
In an effort to make a pet more attractive some owners regularly dress him in different costumes. The main purpose of dog clothes is to protect against the adverse effects of external factors and weather. In good weather and at home, the dog should be completely out of clothes so that the skin can be saturated with oxygen.
Diagnosis and treatment methods
If the process of hair loss in a dog is considered seasonal, then no special measures should be taken for its treatment. One rule – to comply with all the requirements for the care of wool. In the process of active shedding the dog should be combed several times a day, using a special brush for this.
The only way no hair loss treatment, as in each individual case, the technique will directly depend on the causes of the abscission of wool. Baldness in places or everywhere requires a mandatory examination of the attending specialist, only he will be able to understand the cause of the disease. After the diagnosis and collection of all the tests are made, the scrapings are taken from the pet’s skin.
After receiving the diagnostic results, the veterinarian prescribes treatment therapy:
- If parasites were detected on the skin, then medicines are prescribed to eliminate them. Get rid of all the parasites can be immediately, if you use the means Lawyer and Stronghold. In special cases, you will also have to drink a course of antibiotics.
- In the case when the wool falls due to the development of beriberi or after a general decrease in immunity, you should appoint specialized vitamins for dogs. Alopecia due to allergies will require, above all, changes in feed and food in the dog’s diet, as well as the elimination of all contact with the allergen. Then you should appoint a course of antihistamines inside or for local use.
- The most difficult treatment process will occur after balding dogs during hormonal problems and various types of infectious diseases. In this case, you will need to use a comprehensive course of treatment with drugs that will have to take a very long time.
Vitamins for dogs
Regardless of the reason for balding you need Immediately add special vitamin supplements to the diet to stimulate normal growth of the dog’s coat. To qualitatively maintain the health of the hair, in the body should deliver such substances as:
- Vitamins D, F, H.
- Vitamins from group B.
- Various amino acids.
Good source of vitamins There will be certain foods that also need to be included in the pet’s daily nutrition:
- Linseed oil – includes vitamin F.
- Liver and molasses (molasses) – contains a large amount of vitamin N.
- Lamb, whey, liver and brewer’s yeast are rich in vitamin B.
Means against the fall of wool, which will restore the skin:
- Olidex is one of the varieties of Super Wool plus, which was created specifically to restore pet hair.
- Wit Aktiv S-Sh. Such a drug will give the dog’s hair a special density, healthy smoothness and a pleasant appearance. Natural antioxidants do not allow various disorders to develop, and also eliminate the possibility of developing allergies and rashes.
- Hokamix Skin and Shine is an oil with an increased amount of Omega and various acids. Qualitatively fights dry skin, gives shine to wool, removes peeling and irritation.
- Excel 8 in 1. This product is based on garlic and brewer’s yeast. The complex, which is selected specifically to restore the skin and coat of the animal.
- Beafar is a line of vitamins.
- Laveta Super Malti is a special preparation for animal skin and hair.
- Kanvit Biotin is a remedy with biotin in its composition that has a qualitative effect on the overall condition of the skin and the entire hairline.
- Kanina – widely used by animal lovers around the world, quite a popular tool.
The main condition to make alopecia prevention is to timely detect and eliminate the problem with the skin of the dog. In this case, the pet should be constantly carefully examined during the processes of skin and hair care, with the development of any warning signs should immediately seek help from a veterinarian.
In most cases dog baldness manifests itself bald spots in the woolen cover. If this is not resolved in time, the animal will soon lose a significant amount of wool, if not all.
Pet hair should be very carefully monitored and looked after throughout the seasonal molting. Dead hair should be carefully combed out every week. If this is not done, inflammation will occur and itching will begin. At the same time, the dog will begin to severely brush the itchy areas, as a result of which the wool will fall out most actively.
One of the conditions for the preservation of a good and beautiful coat for your pet is proper feeding.