Wool of an animal allows to protect it from cold weather, protect it from sun rays, prevent damage, acts as a heat insulator. Beautiful fur is an indicator of a dog’s health, the state of its immune system. One of the first signs of a problem with the health or maintenance of an animal is a change in the quality of the scalp: it loses its luster, becomes dull, falls out, looks sloppy.
To solve the problems of wool, it is necessary to understand that the woolen cover forms a unity, both structural and functional, with the skin. At the base of the skin containing sebaceous glands, as well as the neuromuscular fibers, are the roots of the hair follicles. Therefore, the condition of the skin, its renewal, the supply of oxygen, blood and the functionality of the sebaceous glands affects the growth and quality of six.
The cells that make up the hair consist of keratin – a special waterproof protein. And the cells of the hair follicle are divided, leading to hair growth. The surface of the hair is covered with tiny scales, smeared with a thin fatty layer produced by the sebaceous glands. These scales protect the inner layer from external factors. It is the condition of the scales, the density of their fit affects the appearance of wool cover.
Types of wool
The dog’s coat should be healthy and beautiful, regardless of the type of coat:
- normal, typical medium length and two-layer structure, consisting of a soft undercoat and strong guard hair;
- long, which can be with a short undercoat or without it;
- smooth, distinguished by a short bristle hair and minimal undercoat;
- hard, preventing the effects of negative factors, but in need of trimming;
- curly, in which soft and long guard hair twists into a curl.
What determines the quality of wool
Numerous factors can affect the texture of wool, among them:
- These breeds are genetically transferred from parents – length, thickness, structure.
- Nutrition, which should be of high quality, rich in vitamins, microelements.
- Health, or rather its violation, will affect the well-being of the pet, as well as its external appearance.
- Care, if it is correct, can be life-saving, even with poor health. Disastrous if it is wrong.
- Ecology that is burdened by an abundance of chemicals around the animal.
Causes of dull or loose hair in dogs
Unseasonable hair loss, its change, expressed in dullness, dryness, excessive rigidity should be a cause for concern. The reasons may be different:
- infectious diseases of the skin, such as: dermatitis, herpes, mycosis, seborrhea;
- hormonal disorders associated with thyroid dysfunction;
- gastrointestinal tract, leading to difficult assimilation of nutrients.
Stress associated with loss of owner or change of residence, can affect not only health, but also the quality of wool.
How to return wool shine
If pet hair problems are visible, it’s best to start by visiting a vet. The doctor will take the tests, diagnose, determine the cause of the change in the structure of the coat. In case of identified diseases, the doctor will select the dosage, prescribe medications, develop a treatment regimen.
It is necessary to carry out preventive measures, vaccination, systematic examinations in order to prevent or promptly eliminate diseases, both internal and those associated with skin lesions.
Pay attention to the composition, the organization of food dogs. If you feed your pet with natural food, and not with specialized feed, it should be proportionate and contain:
- meat, part of which is raw;
- lean fish;
- dairy products;
- vegetables fruits.
The presence in the diet of a large number of cereals or flour products – not permissible!
Products containing zinc, it is important to add to the diet, if you want the hair to be shiny and silky: wheat bran, sea kale, beef, egg yolk, offal.
You also need to pay attention to the special dry and wet food. Often, an improperly chosen food can provoke diseases of the digestive system or cause allergies.
Good care is hygiene, not from time to time, but in constant. Including:
- The washing up:
- special cosmetics developed in accordance with the peculiarities of the skin of dogs that can not only remove dirt from the skin, but also contribute to the restoration of the structure;
- as pollution, and not wait a certain time.
- Combing is not only the final touch after washing, but a daily ritual that promotes:
- giving a well-groomed appearance;
- increase the overall tone of the body;
- massaging the upper layer of the epidermis;
- blood supply improvement;
- removal of dead scales, hairs;