The beautiful wool of four-legged friends is the pride of their owners and an indicator of a pet’s health. Care of the dog’s coat includes regular brushing, water procedures with the use of detergents. Properly selected tools, the right choice of shampoos and conditioners will allow the owner to provide proper care for the dog.
Read in this article.
What is wool in dogs?
Dog breeders and groomers distinguish several types of wool in dogs:
- Middle length. It is formed by long guard hairs and short hair undercoat. German shepherd, labradors, pugs, huskies and huskies have such wool.
- Long hair is available with and without undercoat. The first option is typical for spaniels, collie. The Yorkshire terrier is a prominent representative of the breed with long hair without undercoat.
- Smooth This type is characterized by short guard hair and undercoat. Smooth-haired breeds include: dachshunds, boxers, Dobermans, sleek-haired terriers.
- Tough. This type of wool is characterized by a wire-like guard hair, which greatly complicates the care, consisting in special shearing or pulling. Schnauzers and Airedale Terriers have such wool.
- Curly. This type of cover is provided with undercoat and guard hair, characterized by softness. Breeds are considered to be non-infinite: poodles, bedlington terriers, Portuguese water dog.
Animals of exotic breeds, such as the commander, may also have atypical wool in the form of cords throughout the body, requiring a special professional approach.
Animal Care Rules
Wool of any kind and structure requires regular and proper care from the wearer. Even hairless breeds, for example, Chinese Crested, need to cleanse the skin from accumulated dirt and protect it from drying out. Combing, grooming, bathing with the use of detergents are the main manipulations for caring for a dog.
Why do I need to comb
The procedure of combing a dog has several goals:
- Removal of dirt. During a walk in the fresh air, with captive content, animals are often exposed to various kinds of pollution. These include plant seeds, leaves, household trash, dust and street dirt.
Contaminated coat leads to the formation of tangles, penetration of pathogenic microorganisms into the body, and dysfunction of thermoregulation.
- Getting rid of dead hair. The change of coat in dogs occurs constantly. Inanimate hair accumulates and forms mats. Combing helps to remove dead hair, which has a positive effect on the appearance and health of the pet.
- Preventive protection against microorganisms and external parasites (fleas, lice, ticks, etc.).
- Massage movements with a comb with a comb improve blood circulation, lymph circulation in the subcutaneous tissue. During the combing procedure, the fatty protective layer is distributed throughout the body of the dog.
How to bathe
Water procedures, as a rule, serve to remove serious pollution from four-legged friends. Advice on the frequency of bathing can give a veterinarian and a specialist in grooming, taking into account the specific breed of pet.
As a rule, not all dogs are delighted with bath procedures. In this regard, the owner should teach the animal to swim from an early age. To make the procedure without complications, experts recommend to adhere to the following rules:
- Before bathing wool should be carefully combed, removing dead hair and mats. The latter should be cut with scissors, if you can not get rid of with a comb.
- Water in the bath should be poured in advance. The fluid level should reach the middle of the pet’s paws. Water should be a comfortable temperature.
- Placing the dog in the bath, you must give the animal to get used to the situation, cheering with gentle words.
- For wetting wool, it is best to water a dog from a scoop. If there is no fear and aggression, then you can wet the fur coat with the help of the soul.
- To facilitate the removal of dirt should use special shampoos for dogs. Human detergents can cause allergies and hair loss in animals.
- It is necessary to lather the pet in circular smooth movements from head to tail. Particular attention should be paid to the abdomen and groin area.
- Rinse the foam thoroughly while avoiding water entering the ears.
- Wet wool should be blotted with a towel. It is impossible to wipe the long wool, as this may lead to its tangling.
- Bathing procedure can be carried out only in the absence of drafts in the room and the air temperature is not lower than 23 C.
Some brave pets can be trained to blow-dry. Otherwise, dry the wet wool can be regularly changing towels.
To learn how to buy a dog at home, see this video:
Features care for short and long hair
Care for short-haired breeds is reduced, as a rule, to regular combing and water procedures. They bathe the dog as it is polluted or no more than once a month. Particular attention should be paid to an animal with short hair during shedding. To remove dead hairs, special rubber brushes, combs with short teeth, as well as furuminators, coping with molting are used.
If the pet belongs to the long-haired breeds, grooming will require significant material and energy costs from the owner. In addition to the usual combing and bathing, long-haired breeds need to be carefully combed thick wool, as well as a special haircut.
Water procedures for pets are carried out as they are contaminated, but at least 1 time in 2 months. Not only special shampoos for long-haired breeds, but also conditioners are used for grooming.
Combing four-legged owner of thick and long wool should be daily to prevent the formation of mats. For this, a rare metal comb is best. Old mats will have to cut with scissors. After their removal, the wool should be brushed with a bristle brush to give it shine and waviness.
For hygienic haircuts need a special machine and scissors. You can cut the hair on your paws, in your ears, under the tail. The exhibition or decorative haircut should be entrusted to an experienced groomer.
Tools for combing
Care of wool involves the use of special tools:
- Metal combs. Depending on the type of wool you need to choose a comb with sparse, frequent, long or short teeth.
- Slicker The purpose of the tool is to rid the animal of the undercoat. Pukhoderka is selected according to the size of the animal.
- Rubber combs. It is convenient to use such a tool in the form of a mitten. A rubber comb is necessary for the care of short hair.
- Furminators. The special design of the blades allows you to effectively remove dead hair and reduce the amount of wool in the room.
What kind of devices for the full care of the dog’s coat will be needed, can consult a veterinarian or a specialist in grooming.
Choice of soap accessories
First of all, you should pay attention to what type of coat for shampoo. For example, for long-haired breeds, special tools have been developed to facilitate further combing.
When choosing a shampoo, you need to pay attention to the composition. The less it will be aromatic and dyes, the less likely the development of an allergic reaction in a pet.
Shampoos and conditioners for dogs
Additional ingredients in the form of herbs and other useful ingredients will be required if the owner pursues certain goals. For example, if your pet has dry skin, then shampoo with oat extract will help, and to achieve an antiseptic effect, you should pay attention to the presence of tea tree oil.
For long-haired breeds, air conditioners can be used. They facilitate combing hair, prevent the formation of tangles. The use of air conditioners makes wool shiny and elastic, helps repel dirt.
For how to choose a dog shampoo, see this video:
What breeds less wool
Taking into account the complexity of grooming the four-legged friends, many potential owners choose breeds that require minimal costs. Such popular breeds as Yorkshire terrier, poodles, schnauzers, and Chinese crested belong to the little molting. The less common, characterized by little intense moulting, are the Brussels Griffon, the Tibetan Terrier and the Portuguese Water Dog.
Dog grooming involves combing, bathing and grooming. The peculiarities of this or that procedure, the choice of instrument are dictated primarily by the peculiarity of the structure of the wool of a particular breed of animal.
To learn how to properly care for your dog’s coat, see this video:
The use of this device greatly facilitates grooming, makes the procedure effective and enjoyable as Small and Medium format devices are optimal for representatives of the cat and small-sized dog breeds.
The coat at the bottom of the ears sticks together. The auditory canal is clogged with crusts of dried exudate Puppies get sick from nursing mothers. Most often large dogs get sick when they come into contact with infected animals through care items: leashes.
All Internal diseases in dogs Infections and parasites Care and education. If a dog has hard wool, water procedures will not be needed as often as the owners of soft wool.