Every owner knows how his pet looks and behaves when he is healthy. Smooth shiny coat, cold and wet nose, good appetite, normal urination and stools, restful sleep are signs of your pet’s health. Deviations from them can be caused by illness. Symptoms of the disease can be not only lethargy and loss of appetite, but also reddening of the skin and hair loss.
Causes of hair loss in cats and dogs
Loss of hair is often found in our pets. Here are the main reasons for this phenomenon:
1) improper feeding pet. The lack of certain vitamins and minerals leads to the fact that the hair bulb collapses and the coat begins to fall out;
2) the presence of skin parasites. Hairy eaters and louseflies are very common in domestic animals, infection with these parasites leads to hair loss;
3) fungi (versicolor). When infected with microsporia and trichophytosis, hair is sparsely distributed in some places;
4) allergic reactions. When animals are improperly fed and when their pet eats food that is not intended for their gastrointestinal tract, an allergen accumulates in their blood, and when immunity is weakened, this leads to loss of hair;
5) moult. Normal molting in animals occurs 2 times a year, in early spring and late autumn. With improper maintenance of feeding care and violation of the temperature regime, the molting phase can stretch up to 6 months;
6) hormonal changes. With the frequent use of hormonal drugs, disturbed mating phases of animals and improper feeding, animals often begin to lose hair;
7) weakened immunity. It is typical for animals that have had severe illnesses, including viral ones, for animals that have undergone severe operations, as well as for breeds of animals obtained by close crossing.
How to treat hair loss?
Animal master you need to know the main thing: hair loss is not in the molting phase with the formation of extensive foci of hair loss, bald patches, hair loss in clumps – it is not normal for an animal’s body!
For appointment treatment is necessary to establish the cause hair loss. In many cases, this requires laboratory testing of scrapings from hair loss sites or other studies, without which it is impossible to establish a diagnosis. That is why the loss of hair in dogs and cats, animals need full-time reception at the veterinarian.
For to avoid the main causes of hair loss, the owner of the animal needs to know how to feed the animal correctly, what vitamins and microelements it needs, to treat the animal with antiparasitic drugs and, after suffering a serious illness or operation, use a course of immunostimulants.
Don’t forget and the fact that cats have rare diseases that cause hair loss and baldness. Therefore, only a veterinarian can make the correct diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment.
For example, this cat Lyovushka was sick with a very rare Cushing’s disease (hypercorticism syndrome).